ExChristianScience.com is dedicated to helping those who left, but we often find that friends and family reach out to us with concerns and questions about Christian Science (CS), hopefully this is a starting point.
As former Christian Scientists whose mission is to help those who have left/are leaving Christian Science, we will do our best to broach this topic without too much bias and personal prejudice, but we’re not going to make any promises. We do not speak for every CS, or former-CS, but we can highlight some common themes and trends we have seen over the years, in our Facebook support groups, and from emails to our website. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and we strongly encourage everyone to check out the additional links and resources.
This FAQ addresses the following:
- What is Christian Science?
- What do Christian Scientists believe?
- Why do people join Christian Science?
- Why might someone join Christian Science today?
- Why might someone have joined Christian Science in the late 1800s/early 1900s?
- Why do people stay in Christian Science?
- Why do people leave Christian Science?
- Can you actually ever truly leave Christian Science?
- Is Christian Science a Cult?
- Is Christian Science the same as Scientology?
- Is Christian Science a Bible-based Christian religion?
- What is the Christian Science stance on medical care and vaccinations?
- I have a friend or loved one that I care about who is deeply into Christian Science and I don’t know what to do and could use some support!
- I am a former Christian Scientist and I could use some support!
- I have so many more questions!
- I have a question that was not answered here!