Conscientious Objectors & War
A collection of references related to Christian Science, Conscientious Objectors and War
There is no ground on which conscientious objectors can rest, since Christian Scientists maintain that in reality no war ever happened – it is just a gigantic upheaval of mortal mind. A firm friend of Christian Science wrote in 1917, ‘… from a strictly Christian Scientist’s point of view no one is really being killed in this war. Those who appear to be killed are merely carrying on their consciousness elsewhere until all false belief of life part from god is destroyed…’
Sects and Society: A Sociological Study of the Elim Tabernacle, Christian Science, and Christadelphians p. 178
- Indiana Churches and Conscientious Objectors During World War II http://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/imh/article/view/7964/9641
- Center On Conscience & War – Church of Christ, Scientist http://www.centeronconscience.org/component/content/article/49-words-publication/215-church-of-christ-scientist.html
- Editorial: The Invincible Army – The Christian Science Publishing Society Boston USA April 27 1918
- Christian science war time activities; by First Church of Christ, Scientist (Boston, Mass.). War Relief Committee
- WAR – Association Address – 1941 by Martha Wilcox Published [c1922]
Behind the church paywall:
- Military Service Act By The Christian Science Board of Directors From the July 14, 1917 issue of the Christian Science Sentinel
- From a report of a case in which a conscientious objector… H. R. Colborne – New South Wales, Australia From the March 24, 1917 issue of the Christian Science Sentinel
- Sects and Society http://books.google.com/books?id=1NWVP5kDBJcC&pg=PA178&lpg=PA178&dq=Christian+Science+conscientious+objectors&source=bl&ots=89-3oMGEOx&sig=Ar6STgZxmkawMhFPj4E9jPx7SvQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VO07VO2rFIKsjAKpjoCwDw&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Christian%20Science%20conscientious%20objectors&f=false
This site offers support resources to help individuals negotiate a transition in a manner that best fits their needs and convictions. We do not advocate any one particular path but acknowledge that there are many legitimate pathways that can be personally and spiritually fulfilling.
2 thoughts on “Conscientious Objectors & War”
Franklin Zahn was raised as a Christian Scientist and was a CO during WWII. His autobiography is worth reading.
My dad was a Concientious Objector. If he hadn’t been one, he never would have become a CS nurse then met my mom and married, then had me. I was always proud of him for that. He was embarrassed by it and never wanted me to tell anyone.
I am now Quaker. And I am still very proud of my dad.
It was because of his anti-war sentiment, that I am here.
Comments are closed.